01 August 2008

Jing (continued)

I think I'm getting how to use Jing better now.

First of all, when I used Jing to capture the image, of course, I did it a couple of times initially. After my previous blog post was published, I went back and deleted the extra images from my Jing history and Screencast. And of course, when I returned to the blog, the image was no longer opening and neither was the link. So, delete extra images BEFORE sharing.

And guess what else I discovered during the process of correcting my mistakes? The image is automatically linked. Just click anywhere on the abbreviated image and it opens the complete image.

Secondly, I now understand that Jing works along with Screencast. The Jing Project and Screencast have both been created by TechSmith. "Jing is designed to be fast-visual communication shared with others in a variety of locations". Jing is free and resides on your computer.
Screencast.com is TechSmith’s media hosting solution that Jing uses to securely host your content. It’s perfect for the kind of images and videos you’ll want to make with Jing. We use Screencast.com to ensure everyone has access to a free, secure hosting option that enables the fastest visual communication possible. You can upload or save your content in lots of other places too!
So, after you capture an image or create a video, you can save with these methods:
  • Screencast.com
  • Local folder
  • Network drive
  • Copy to your clipboard (images only)
  • FTP server
  • Flickr

I didn't understand that only images could be saved to the clipboard. I have since found that, if the image or video is saved at Screencast, you can then get and share the url, embed link, or embed on your page/blog. I haven't tried to save to my computer or Flickr yet.

I definitely recommend reading the Jing Blog especially "Getting Started with Jing" in the Recent Entries section or "How Do I..." in the Categories section.




No comments: