10 January 2008

SmartLinks

Have you seen this launcher arrow before? Though much smaller, it sometimes appears next to a link for the title of a book, movie, or song. I just noticed it when I printed a list of books from the cybils blog. The blue arrow appeared in the printed document and I thought, "oh, it's just an image that didn't come thru." So I went back to cybils blog and clicked on the launcher and what do you know? A "BlueScreen" popped up with links to more info about the title. Here's an example of book BlueScreen for The Dip by Seth Godin.

Then I went to the AdaptiveBlue site and learned more about SmartLinks. The overall goal of "AdaptiveBlue is developing personalization technologies that leverage semantics and attention. " SmartLinks make your own links to books, movies, music, or stocks more useful by automatically linking to relevant and related websites.

I guess that I understand the purpose of SmartLinks, but I'm not sure how to actually use them here. I installed SmartLinks, so I'll experiment a bit.

I just finished reading Tamar by Mal Peet. It has appeared on several 2007 Best books lists including Booklist's Editor's Choice: Books for Youth and School Library Journal's Best Books of 2007 It's a great suspenseful read, though, I had figured out part of the ending ahead of time. WWII underground operations in the Netherlands came alive while reading this book. (I got it to work after linking the title to Amazon. I'll have to find out which other sites the SmartLink is created for.)

1 comment:

fraser k said...

Hi there,

Thanks for the really kind words about us and for using our product!

I hope you found the installation process straight forward.

Right now you can see the sites we currently support here: http://www.adaptiveblue.com/smartlinks_sites.html

We're constantly adding to the list though so please let me know if you have any suggestions.

SmartLinks are able to understand the thing that's within the link - i.e. it "knows" which book you are linking to. After that it automatically makes the best on the web for that specific book available directly from your site. It helps provide a richer browsing experience for your readers.

We pride ourselves on great customer service, so if you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me at fraser [dot] kelton [at] gmail [dot] com - I'd be thrilled to help.

If you like the SmartLinks you may also like our SmartLink Widgets for book lists (NY Times Best Sellers, Amazon Best Sellers by genre). You can preview the gallery here: adaptiveblue.com/widgets_auto.html

Again, if you have any questions or feedback I'd love to hear it!

Best,

Fraser
AdaptiveBlue